WWII: London Bombed | Cats, London and The o'jays - Pinterest
Animal Outreach Cat Rescue (AOCR) is a group of dedicated volunteers in London, Ontario who help give homeless cats and kittens a new lease on life. Cats and kittens are all treated by a veterinarian, spayed or neutered, de-flead and de-wormed. They are placed in foster homes and cared for until we find them permanent loving homes.
Of the 700+ cats that our rescue places per year, a great majority are Himalayans. These cats are known for their sweet nature and charming personalities. It is extremely important that people considering this breed understand the responsibilities that come along with a Himalayan; these cats are high maintenance.
The Institute closed at the start of World War II when the Veterinary Assistant left to join the army. By which time it received only 1,000 patients a year, mostly cats and dogs, because working animals were in decline and new flats often did not allow pets. The building was hit by German bombs in 1940 and 1943 and suffered devastating damage in July 1944 when it was hit by flying bombs. It never reopened and the site came under a compulsory purchase order in 1953. There was still the matter of the Institutions assets and it took 25 years of legal wrangling to divide these between the universities of London and Dublin, the orginal locations named in Brown's complicated legacy. The London share was used to endow the Thomas Brown research fellowship in veterinary pathology at the Royal Veterinary College.The Mayhew Animal Home in West London was established by the Bell Family (the people behind the Vegetarian Society) in 1886 for the benefit of “the lost and starving dogs and cats of London so that they should have sanctuary from the cold inhumanity they are being dealt outside.” The London shelter was named after Anne “Annie” Mayhew who was the superintendent. Mayhew sought good homes for older cats (thought to be impossible) and even offered lifetime sanctuary to the unwantables. To give a potted history of this organisation; in 1925 it was in disrepair and was rescued by the RSPCA, becoming their North Middlesex Branch. In the 1980s they found it too expensive to run and it was rescued by the board of Trustees.Battersea Dogs Home was set up in 1860 as the "Temporary Home for Lost and Starving Dogs" by Mary Tealby in Holloway, London, moving to Battersea in 1871. In the 1880s and 1890s, it sometimes took in 35,000 to 42,000 stray and unwanted dogs in a single year, housing them in communal pens. While Battersea Dogs' Home is best associated with dogs, in 1883 it also became involved with rescuing and rehoming cats. This is an excerpt from “The Home For Lost Dogs” published in The Strand Magazine, January to June, 1891: Well into the 1960s, the CPL ran the Tailwavers Club to help bombed out cats after the Second World War. In 1938, they had advised that it would be necessary to put cats to sleep if air raids began, to save the cats from mutilation and pain. Cat owners were urged to decide then whether to do so, in order that there was no hesitation or loss of time if the danger was to materialise. Pets faced great hardship during wartime. Pets were not allowed into public air raid shelters; some were evacuated, but many were put to sleep or lost their homes in bombing raids. Cats were not allowed on the transport provided by authorities during compulsory evacuation. All the owners could do was leave a day’s food and water for the cat and advise the police or a local animal welfare authority that there was a cat in the house. Many were destroyed. Others became strays or joined feral colonies. A few survived to be reunited with returning families and other lucky survivors were rescued and rehomed.