Location in Izard County and the state of Arkansas
The site of this first post is believed to be near what is now called the , located about 5 miles (8.0 km) (but about 25 miles (40 km) by road) from the Arkansas Post Memorial. This property, like the memorial a National Historic Landmark, is owned by the National Park Service, but is undeveloped.
Potable water for much of Northwest Arkansas is treated by 's water treatment plant, located in eastern Lowell near Beaver Lake. Wastewater is collected by gravity sewer and sent to a lift station near the Monroe Avenue exit on I-49. It is then pumped south, eventually being treated at the Springdale Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Gillett is a city in Arkansas County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 819 at the 2000 census. Gillett is the home of the annual Gillett Coon Supper. The Arkansas Post National Memorial is located southeast of the town.According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.1 square miles (15.9 km²), all of it land. Many Atkins residents commute to nearby Russellville, Arkansas for work, school, and recreation due to its close location. Lowell is a city in Benton County, Arkansas, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 5,013. It is part of the Fayetteville–Springdale–Rogers, AR-MO Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Lowell is the headquarters location of the nation's largest publicly owned trucking company, J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc.
Lowell has the sixth highest median household income in Arkansas, after Maumelle, White Hall, Cabot, Bryant, and Bethel Heights.
In 1819 Arkansas was separated from Missouri, but still included in what is now Oklahoma. The two states were separated and Arkansas admitted to the Union in 1836, just two years before Sam Leslie's arrival. The Indians were peaceful and cooperative in Wiley's Cove. There were two Indian chiefs in Samuel Leslie's time: one called Wiley and the other was Al. The Leslie area was called Wiley's Cove after Chief Wiley, and Al's Cove was in the Rumley area. Samuel built a small house on land in which he lived temporarily while the Indians moved aside, and then he built a two story southern type home with a separate kitchen and slave quarters. This house was located where the Legion Hut now stands; the well at the north corner of the hut was the original well for the Samuel Leslie homestead. He also owned a store and trading post nearby. It is said he gave away some of the land to encourage other settlers to come into the community. The name Wiley's Cove was changed to Leslie by the Postal Department on November 9, 1887. Andrew Jackson Leslie requested the name to be changed in honor of his father, Samuel Leslie.Old US 65 went through Omaha, causing travelers from further south in Arkansas (such as ) to go through Omaha on the way to Missouri, and likewise for travelers heading further south from Missouri. Businesses along the route were able to thrive. Although the new , opened in late 1999, was judged to be safer and reduced travel time, it completely bypassed Omaha. Businesses deriving revenue from the tourist trade felt the impact on the first day of the new road opening. Ultimately they were devastated. Some businesses planned to relocate to Branson at the time. Many noted that people will never even know Omaha exists. It was noted that old US 65 became so quiet that dogs could safely lie in the street.One point of interest in Bald Knob is Arkansas Traveler Hobbies, which is housed in the old Missouri Pacific Railroad depot at 400 E. Market Street. Antique passenger cars and an antique caboose are housed on the grounds and currently being restored. The hobby shop also houses a museum which chronicles the history of Bald Knob, the Missouri Pacific Railroad, and White County. Another attraction is the historic Knob Field, located just east of the Big Bald Knob Park.