my cats are eating my aloe vera plants! - BabyCenter

Jun 25, 2012 - I bought several aloe plants and my cats are going nuts eating them
Although aloe is often used to cure human pain, it can be toxic for kitty cats! Although the actual aloe gel is harmless, eating the aloe leaves can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even tremors. If you want to keep an aloe plant for your personal use, keep it well out of reach -- which is an especially difficult task for cat owners.
I knew a few of these plants were poisonous to cats and dogs but I had no idea that the aloe vera plant fell into this category too.
Aloes, including aloe vera (Aloe vera) contain a saponin called aloin. It is a bitter, yellow substance found in most species of aloe. Aloe vera is grown as a houseplant but also grows outdoors in USDA zones 9 through 11. It is toxic to both dogs and cats, causing vomiting diarrhea, tremors and reddish urine. plants - Aloe Vera and Cats - Pets Stack ExchangeCats and Aloe Vera Plant | The Cat SiteCats eating aloe vera plant, is this safe? | The Cat Site
Answer: Most of the research has been in dogs and cats that have ingested aloe. If you break an aloe leaf open you notice two things: the center clear/greenish goo (this is what the gel is made from) and around the very edge a white sap (this is the latex the plant produces). The gel is not toxic, but the latex can cause problems.Aloe vera is toxic to humans too if you injest the yellow sap in the green part of the leaves (the aloin). The yellow sap is the plants defense against predators and parasites. Only the inside of the plant, the clear gel, is edible and medicine to anyone. I eat Aloe every day. I rub it on my cats acne and he has ingested some gel. He is fine and likes the soothing Aloe on his skin. I bought several aloe plants and my cats are going nuts eating them. Can anyone help me with stopping this. Id like to be able to have the plants inside. The only plants I've been able to have are cactuses. I can't even have fake floral arrangements because the cats tear them apart too.Barbados aloe is a common household plant used by humans for medicinal purposes. It is particularly useful for burn treatment in humans. This succulent plant commonly goes by the name aloe vera or true aloe, although various common names also apply including octopus plant, medicine plant, torch plant and candelabra plant. Although the gelatinous tissue is commonly used by humans for medicinal purposes, the latex in the aloe plant is toxic to cats and an irritant to humans and other animals. A cat who is medically treated with aloe that has not had the latex removed from it by a well-meaning pet owner, or a cat that accidentally ingests aloe by eating the plant in the house or garden can exhibit symptoms of toxicity. Toxicity in cats from aloe poisoning is usually mild to moderate, although dehydration can occur if reaction to the plant is extreme enough. If aloe poisoning is suspected in your cat, you should seek veterinary assistance.Barbados aloe is a common household plant used by humans for medicinal purposes. It is particularly useful for burn treatment in humans. This succulent plant commonly goes by the name aloe vera or true aloe, although various common names also apply including octopus plant, medicine plant, torch plant and candelabra plant. Although the gelatinous tissue is commonly used by humans for medicinal purposes, the latex in the aloe plant is toxic to cats and an irritant to humans and other animals. A cat who is medically treated with aloe that has not had the latex removed from it by a well-meaning pet owner, or a cat that accidentally ingests aloe by eating the plant in the house or garden can exhibit symptoms of toxicity. Toxicity in cats from aloe poisoning is usually mild to moderate, although dehydration can occur if reaction to the plant is extreme enough. If aloe poisoning is suspected in your cat, you should seek veterinary assistance.Cats are naturally curious creatures and may sample aloe plants in their environment. As humans frequently keep this plant in their home or garden for medicinal or ornamental purposes, a curious cat may chew on or ingest the plant accidentally.